A Question For The ages

…is…is…is that a clean hanky?….

…I’ll let you be the judge….

…lockdown + touristy-globe-thing + skeleton + skulls…..

…= interactive skull globe….

…(is that a clean hanky?)….

Big Secret Project V

…I was going to post (again) about the grand first bite of that huge record accumulation at Restore, 7 Gordon St., Dunedin Central at 10.am today….

…but was so excited about “selling” records again that I neglected to take pic’s of my very overladen car or the carefully shrouded, 20 crate lump all ready to table at the store…

…so here’s a picture I painted to look at whilst you wait for the doors to open…

…it’s one of a series of ten I did during lockdown last year…

…(cue elevator music)….

……see you at 10.a.m.

I Should Be On Stuff

….like t-shirts or skateboards…

…thats what that gallery owner said way back before lockdown….

…took me awhile to realise that nephew Max could be a source for used boards….and when asked at the Xmas brunch table if he had any he immediately left the table for 20 minutes to go find them!….

….and here are the results…

….Cheers Max…

….all boards had the original graphics ground off….stained to look like “real” wood…all skulls “n” bones and graphic edges burnt on with the trusty poker work machine….

…Max decided to go for a ridable option (these three are well thrashed)…and will bring me a fresh board to redecorate….a board we can document the wear and tear on…

….should be interesting….

New Job Starts Today

…it’s a dayshift thing

…so I have spent the last 11 days adjusting to sleeping at night…

…and not really being at all painty or drawy….

…so here’s another lump of the big secret project revealed…

…and the new job?…

…not sure you’d believe me if I told you…

…but…

…I’m gonna be driving a big bucketed loader thing down at the local waste transfer station…

…yup…

…I finally get to work at the dump!….

…better get gone…don’t want to be late on my first day….

Ok Ok

…you’re right…it IS time I showed you some of the big secret project….after all I finished it last year…

…only to get bogged down by an over ambitious framing “option” that involved gluing a multitude of pieces of badly cut ply wood into a herringbone pattern….

..then filling in the gaps and cutting the whole shebang in to strips…

….then (the bit that isn’t getting done in the near future)…..(if ever!) shaping/sanding them and bunging them onto the finished art works….

…I haven’t looked at these pieces since January….

…these are the first two in a series of ten….

…they are 46cm by 46cm in their socks…

…ready?….

…right…

…ahem…

…without further ado, I’m proud present part one of the big secret project – revealed….

….(sure you’re ready?)….

…some stills…

…there are 10 pieces in the group…

…three more pairs and two stand alones….

…stay tuned.

Without Preamble

….a holiday project started in January….

…a few finishing touches at home….

…aaaaand we’re done….

…on the box….

…on the “canvas”….

…on the box….

…on the “canvas”….

…on the box….

…on the “canvas”….

…on the box….

…on the “canvas”….

…there…..pretty sure I had a similar set when I was young, but never completed it because – gluggy oil paints….

….much easier to wait till they turn up in a thrift shop and just add octopus to suit….

…was mildly unsettled every time someone expressed disappointment that I just festooned other peoples work with a bloody great cephalopod instead of painstakingly rendering the bloody annoying things myself….

…then these came up on the local auction sight….

…mint in box with 40+ year old super gluggy oil paints….

…thought that it would be a wise/wonderful idea to replace said glug with the acrylic test pots that I favour….until I worked out how much having a near as damn matching set to aid my endeavour would cost…

…so made do with what I already had for the most part….

…might octopi when the nausea subsides…..

…but as I have now achieved my childhood dream of finishing not one, but four pain by numbers paintings, it appears that my life is now complete….

Bonus Skeleton Thursday !

…the distinct lack of articulated folk art skeletons in New Zealand has led me to experiment with clay and wire….

…early results are somewhat arthritic…

…but I’m working on it!….

…(…have to admit that this side ramble into 3d stuff is actually a direct result of wanting, but not being able to acquire an army of lego skeletons in short order….not sure why said army needs to be mine…probably just ‘cos…)…..

…(when in need, try making your own)….